I write about Containers and other Cloud Native stuff, the underlying technologies, and, of course, Programming. Sometimes, I also share my personal experience of being an SRE in a Big Tech company.
At the moment, I work on two series of articles
- Illustrated Introduction to Containers
- How to Master the Server-Side Craft
And two programming projects
- pq - a command-line tool to parse and query log files as time series
- docker-to-linux - a simple way to convert a container into a bootable Linux disk image.
Subscribe to the monthly newsletter and receive
- Brief updates on my long-term projects
- Summary of my fresh articles
- Other interesting things I've come across in the past month
Not a fan of email? Follow me on Twitter for quality content on the same topics. Here is a sneak peek:
Have you ever been confused while reading Kubernetes API docs?— Ivan Velichko (@iximiuz) January 23, 2021
Wondering what are these:
- API groups
- API objects
- Aggregation layers
...and what are their relationships?
I've got a picture for you!#Kubernetes pic.twitter.com/7LbIfyS5uf
How to grasp Containers and Docker (Mega Thread)— Ivan Velichko (@iximiuz) August 7, 2021
When I started using containers back in 2015, I thought they were tiny virtual machines with a subsecond startup time.
It was easy to follow tutorials from the Internet on how to put your Python or Node.js app into a container...
Docker vs. Containerd vs. Runc— Ivan Velichko (@iximiuz) August 23, 2021
Here is my take on the roles of:
- OCI runtime (runc)
- runtime shims
While it might not be 100% accurate, I find this decomposition helpful as a starting point in understanding the ecosystem. pic.twitter.com/Fhsmijb2Fw