Sharing is caring
Internet is over-indexed for shallow introductory content. A typical tech email newsletter at best has one-two good reads per dozen of links. But true gems do exist! Although they are often hidden behind the first ten search results. And nothing is deeper than the second page of Google.
Below are the links to someone else's content that I find exceptionally good. Only profound and insightful stuff. Well, IMHO...
- The Trimodal Nature of Software Engineering Salaries in the Netherlands and Europe - you can make 100K+ EUR annually as an employee, here is how.
- Equity 101 for Software Engineers at Big Tech and Startups - sort of a follow-up for the previous article, it's vital to understand these things before compensation negotiation.
- Becoming a Full-Time Creator as a Software Engineer: Controversial Advice - alternative ways to make money leveraging the prior software engineering experience.
- Why Is Apple’s M1 Chip So Fast? - not a marketing rubbish, but an engineer explaining things to other engineers.
- [RU] Квантовый Компьютер. Как устроен? Как программировать? Уже? - amazing introduction to quantum computing for regular human beings.
- Linux Bridge - Part 1 - it's surprisingly hard to find a decent read on Linux Bridge module.
- Linux Performance Analysis in 60,000 Milliseconds - Top-10 Linux performance tools that you'll likely find pre-installed and what they can tell you about your servers.
- Kubernetes Operators 101
- Limiting access to Kubernetes resources with RBAC
- Cracking kubernetes node proxy (aka kube-proxy)
- A Guide to the Kubernetes Networking Model
- Understanding kubernetes networking: pods
- Understanding kubernetes networking: services
- Tracing the path of network traffic in Kubernetes
- 🎬 Container Networking From Scratch
- 🎬 Kubernetes: The Documentary - Part I and Part II
- The Service Mesh: What Every Software Engineer Needs to Know about the World's Most Over-Hyped Technology - must-read for everyone who's dealing with service meshes.
- Under the hood of Linkerd's state-of-the-art Rust proxy, Linkerd2-proxy
- 🎙️ Linkerd, with Thomas Rampelberg
Prometheus has an especially low number of blog posts touching upon advanced aspects or explaining basic things in real depth.
- PromLabs Blog: Metric Types in Prometheus and PromQL - gauge vs counter vs histogram vs summary.
- PromLabs Blog: The Anatomy of a PromQL Query - scalar vs instant vector vs range vector; instant query vs range query.
- PromLabs Blog: Selecting Data in PromQL - finally, an article mentioning the lookback delta and metric staleness.
- PromLabs Blog: How Exactly Does PromQL Calculate Rates?
- Beware Prometheus counters that do not begin at zero - sheds more light on the nature of counters and rates through troubleshooting an issue with missing production metrics.
- PromLabs Blog: PromQL Queries for Exploring Your Metrics - a bunch of handy PromQL tips & tricks.